Extended Life Anti-Freeze Issues
Extended Life Anti-Freeze which utilizes Organic Additive Technology (OAT, H-OAT, or N-OAT) as one of its chemicals should not be used in older cars as it attacks the gaskets and gasket cements causing major leaks.
Antifreeze that can be used safely has the Inorganic Additive Technology (IAT) additive. Also, the antifreeze may be labelled “Safe for Older Cars”-meaning 10 years old at most. Avoid any “extended – life” antifreeze.
Above info was documented by Rolls Royce, “Silver Ghost Association” and by the Auburn Cord Dusenberg auto club.
Our 95 Chevy Blazer experienced this failure using a gold-color antifreeze which was factory installed and caused the engine to fail on our Cruzer trip to Chelan.
Windshield Scratch – How to Remove
Before starting this procedure, check the scratch with your fingernail by dragging it across and if you can feel it - it probably is too deep to be removed.
Obtain some cerium oxide, (can be obtained from Amazon) commonly called jeweler’s or optician’s rouge.
1. Mark the scratch from inside the car with a black felt tip pin.
2. Mask the area carefully as using a rotary cleaning motion will sling the slurpy grinding compound onto painted areas.
3. Clean the windshield good around the scratch.
4. Mix the cerium oxide with water into a slurpy, about the consistence of thick gravy. Add small amounts of water as required.
5. Use a small bowl that you can dip your pad into. Do not submerge the pad if you are using a motorized pad as it will sling the slurpy solution all over.
6. Work in sections, back & forth, up & down, keeping the solution damp and removing material constantly to see what you progress is. Do not use heavy pressure on the scratch and wipe clean often to view progress.
7. Once you have removed the scratch, you may have to lightly polish the rest of the windshield to match the clarity of the cleaned scratch area.
Ross Stearing Gear Box: These gear boxes require a special semi-fluid grease which is no longer available. Use Castrol Synthetic Gear Lube by drilling a small hole in the filler plug.
Preventing Vapor Lock: Add 1 pint of diesel fuel to 10 gallons of gasoline which will raise the boiling point preventing vapor lock. It will also lubricate the gaskets in your carburetor and also lubricate your electric fuel pump rotary veins as gas with ethanol is very corrosive.
GM HEI Distributor: Before installing a reman distributor in any GM SBC or LBC, you need to examine the lower gear on the distributor to determine that the gear is installed correctly. At the very end of the distributor shaft below the rolled pin which holds the gear on the shaft, there is a small drill dent. This dent has to align up with the rotor point. It can be installed 180 degrees out of alignment which will affect your timing. If you examine the small drill dent, you will notice that it is aligned between two (2) gear teeth. As there are 13 gear teeth, aligning it wrong - it would end up pointing to one (1) gear tooth. I had installed a reman distributor on my truck and was having problems with the ignition firing correctly. This was the problem.